Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position No.: Temp/002/2019
Vacancy Notice No.: T/002/01/19
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Position Grade: GL4
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Human Resources Assistant will be tasked with assisting the Human Resources senior staff in personnel administration and other HR related matters, including the process of recruitment and appointment of staff, and in the performance management and welfare issues of staff under area of responsibility (AOR).
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Offer timely clerical support in the recruitment, assignment and reassignment of local general service staff.
- Render support in processing local staff members’ contracts, entitlements and benefits in accordance with Staff Rules and established HR procedures.
- Provide advice to staff members on their rights, obligations, benefits and entitlements according to the UN/UNHCR staff rules and regulations.
- Assist newly arrived international staff with administrative formalities related to their accreditations, security/ground passes, arrange travel and hotel reservations.
- Assist with shipment of their personal effects in coordination with the logistics section.
- Offer timely administrative support to staff and dependants in case of medical evacuations.
- Maintain personnel records in the office, including maintenance of the attendance, overtime and leave records.
- Perform any other duties as required.
Key Performance Indicators:
- The workforce in the AOR is well-informed of the organisations human resources policies and practices.
- UNHCR provides a healthy, safe and respectful working environment for its workforce in the AOR.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Human Resources Assistant career opportunity should have completed secondary education.
- At least four years of previous relevant work experience.
- Prior field experience with UNHCR and/or with other humanitarian organizations is an asset.
- Extensive knowledge of UNHCR administrative procedures and processes and exposure to provision of support services in an international organization.
- High IT affinity and working experience of PeopleSoft/MSRP.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 17th January 2019