Organization: National Agricultural Research Organisation (NARO)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Wakiso, Uganda
Reports to:Director Corporate Services
The National Agricultural Research Organisation (NARO) is established by the National Agricultural Research Act 2005 as a body corporate with the mandate to provide strategic direction for publically funded agricultural research in Uganda. The organisation is composed of the Council as its governing body, Committees of Council, a Secretariat for its day-to-day operations with semi-autonomous Public Agricultural Research Institutes (PARI’s) under its policy guidance.
Job Summary: The Civil Engineer will be supervising firms contracted to design, construct maintain and repair organizational infrastructure.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Providing technical and professional advice to NARO Governing Council and Management on infrastructural development.
- Provide advice during pre-contract stage, and supervising construction, rehabilitation works, including defects liability;
- Preparing designs, technical drawings, preparing bills of quantities and cost estimates of civil works to be undertaken.
- Liaising with the NARO Procurement Unit in preparation of solicitation documents, Evaluation of Bids and Recommendation for award of contract.
- Conducting site supervision and quality control of the contractors’ workmanship in compliance with the provision of the contract.
- Verifying contractors’ equipment on site, key personnel and construction schedule.
- Issuing variation orders, inspecting and approving contractors’ interim certificates and certifying completion of work.
- Holding regular site meetings with the contractors.
- Reviewing reports submitted by the Consultants/contractors and verifying the consultants’/contractors’ works certificates submitted for payment.
- Overseeing the construction and maintenance of buildings, roads, water supply, drainage and other civil works.
- Monitoring and appraising the progress of civil works and reporting to management on progress made.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidates for the should National Agricultural Research Organisation (NARO) Civil Engineer job should be holders of a Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering. Possession of a Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering will be an added advantage.
- At least eight (8) years in a reputable organization(s).
- Must be registered with the Uganda Engineers Registration Board.
- Age: Below 45 years
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested persons should submit applications together with a detailed curriculum vitae giving telephone and e-mail addresses and names and addresses of 3 (three) referees as well as copies of academic certificates and testimonials to the undersigned.
Applicants are advised to quote the reference number of the post applied for on the top left hand corner of the envelope and on the application letter specifying the institute of preference and should apply for not more than two (2) positions.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and notified via NARO web-site, telephones and e-mail addresses as provided on the CV. Short-listed candidates will be required to provide certified copies of their Academic Qualifications.
The Director General,
National Agricultural Research Organization,
P.O. Box 295, Entebbe
Deadline: 21st February 2019 by 5.00 p.m.