Organization: Inter-University Council for East Africa (IUCEA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Deputy Executive Secretary
The Inter-University Council for East Africa (IUCEA) is a strategic institution of the East African Community (EAC) responsible for coordinating the development of human resources and research in the region. IUCEA is charged with a number of responsibilities among them being to coordinate academic and research activities jointly undertaken by Partner states and member university institutions. The main objectives of IUCEA are to (i) facilitate networking among universities in East Africa, and with universities outside the region; (ii) provide a forum for discussion on a wide range of academic and other matters relating to higher education in East Africa; and (iii) facilitate maintenance of internationally comparable education standards in East Africa so as to promote the region’s global competitiveness in higher education.
Job Summary: The Senior Planning and Resource Mobilization Officer will coordinate IUCEA’s planning activity, preparation and administration of the budget, preparation of proposals for fundraising and negotiating with the development partners to ensure adequate and sustainable financial resources are mobilized to implement IUCEA’s projects and programs.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate process of preparing Strategic/Master Plans and ensuring its effective implementation and review
- Work closely with Division/Unit/Section heads, and other professional staff of IUCEA in the development of budget and capital improvement plan
- Administer and manage all aspects of the budget functions including examining the budget estimates or proposals for accuracy, precision, and completeness during the budgeting process, ensuring conformity with financial procedures, policies and organizational objectives during the process of implementation, carrying out the mid-year review of IUCEA budget every January and advice on the possibility of budget flexibility when need arises
- Develop annual financial resource mobilization plans and targets
- Initiate, plan, coordinate and facilitate the development and implementation of resource mobilization strategies and activities of IUCEA and ensure adequate and sustainable financial resources to the institution
- Develop and facilitate implementation of policies for proper management of donor funds
- Facilitate and coordinate the development of IUCEA funding proposals with relevant Divisions/units/ sections and technical staff
- Coordinate the development of work plans for donor funded projects and programs to ensure proper management of mobilized funds
- Coordinate, monitor and evaluate the execution of projects/programs of IUCEA
- Monitor funds sources, agency expenditures and allotments while ensuring compliance with legislative intent, accounting regulations and audit compliance principles
- Performing any other duties that may be assigned by the Deputy Executive Secretary (PFA)from time to time
Key Performance Indicators:
- Strategic Plan, Capital Investment Plan, Budget procedure/guidelines, and Work plans
- Timely Midyear review of IUCEA budget
- Minutes of status of the budget with budget implementation committee
- Resource Mobilization strategies, policies and procedures developed and updated regularly
- Funding proposals and work plans for mobilized resources
- Funds mobilized in right quantities
- Progress reports for donor funded projects prepared regularly and timely
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Master’s degree in Economics or MBA with specialization in Strategic Planning and Management, Finance or Business Management from a recognized institution
- Certificate or diploma in strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation or its equivalent will be an added advantage
- At least eight (8) years, 3 years must be at senior similar position in either public service, a large private or international organization.
- Working experience with bilateral and multilateral development partners is an added advantage.
- Demonstrate capacity for resource mobilization in his previous experience.
- Must be able to provide team leadership in resource mobilization, manage diversity, conflict and change, have proposal writing, project cycle management, conceptual, Analytical, communication and lobbying skills, public relations, planning, negotiation, networking, judgment, fundraising, budgeting, decision making, report writing and presentation skills.
- S/He must be computer literate, knowledge of potential donors and understanding of procedure for accessing resources from international organizations and financial institutions.
- S/he must be fluent in English.
- Age: Below 55 years.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their following application letters should be accompanied with the following:
- Certified copies of the applicants degree awards
- Up to date and comprehensive Curriculum Vitae
- Addresses of three referees, one of which should be the current immediate supervisor
- Proof of nationality such as National ID or Biodata page of the passport.
Applications should be marked “APPLICATION FOR THE POST OF ………..Title of Position….” in hard copy (by hand or courier) addressed to:
The Executive Secretary,
Inter-University Council for East Africa
Plot M833, Kigobe Road
P.O. Box 7110, Kampala, Uganda
Deadline: 25th March 2019