Organization: British High Commission (BHC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Office Notice No.: 02/19 KPL
Starting Monthly Salary: UGX 4,523,426 gross
The British High Commission is the diplomatic liaison office that aims to develop and maintain close bilateral relations with Uganda, in accordance with British government policies. The British High Commission is responsible for the political relationship between the UK and Uganda, and we provide advice and guidance on political and governance issues. BHC provides assistance and documentary services to British nationals in Uganda. The UK Trade and Investment Section provides assistance to both British and Ugandan businesses.
Job Summary: The Political & Projects Officer will oversee the delivery of the High Commission’s projects and be the lead on human rights issues. In addition, you will need to build and maintain strong networks with government and civil society. This is an important role, working closely with Head of the Political team and the High Commissioner. The ideal candidate is likely to have worked in a political field – perhaps in civil society with strong contacts in these areas, with significant project and budget management experience; and will have at least a three-year track-record of delivering at pace.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- An in-depth knowledge of Ugandan politics, particularly on human rights, contributing to political analysis and keeping track of developments in civil society and parliament.
- Organising and attending meetings/events, and producing timely and accurate reports for the team
- The officer will ideally bring a strong network of contacts with them to the team. In particular, the officer will build and maintain contacts in government and civil society, monitoring and attending key meetings and tracking political developments
- Lead the project and programme team, identifying activities to be funded inform and advise the post project board, and ensuring projects are delivered to budget and on time.
- Line manage a projects officer, overseeing project monitoring and evaluation and due diligence on project implementers.
- The Officer will be part of an energetic and engaged team, and will need to be flexible and responsive to changing demands. They will also play a wider corporate role in the High Commission.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the British High Commission (BHC) Political & Projects Officer job should hold a university degree in political studies, international relations, social sciences or a related field;
- Experience of project management, including budget management;
- At least three years of relevant work experience;
- Knowledge of Uganda’s political, economic and social environments, including key institutions and persons in civil society and government;
- Experience in report writing, note taking and event planning.
- High level of people skills – leadership, networking, management, organising.
- Sound project and financial management knowledge, skills and experience.
- Strong problem solving skills, including close attention to detail and ability to prioritise in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication skills – written, oral, one-to-one, group, formal presentations – ability to vary style, pace and presentation to suit the audience
- Ability and willingness to undergo security vetting process
- Competencies: Seeing the Big Picture, Making Effective Decisions, Leading and Communicating, Delivering at Pace
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join the British High Commission in the aforementioned capacity should apply by clicking on the link below.
Deadline: 18th March 2019