Organization: Petroleum Authority of Uganda (PAU)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Petroleum Authority of Uganda (PAU) is a statutory body established under Section 9 of the Petroleum (Exploration, Development and Production) Act 2013, and in line with the National Oil and Gas Policy for Uganda which was approved in 2008. The PAU’s mandate is to monitor and regulate the exploration, development and production, together with the refining, gas conversion, transportation and storage of petroleum in Uganda. This includes ensuring that petroleum operations in Uganda are carried out in accordance with the relevant laws, regulations, guidelines, statutes and in line with international best practice for the petroleum industry.
Job Summary: The Social Affairs Officer will be responsible for monitoring social aspects of oil and gas activities. The Social Affairs Officers will drive a culture for continued development and improvement in social initiatives and social impact mitigation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advise on interventions to mitigate social risks and impacts that are required to be integrated into policies, plans and programs for the oil and gas sector;
- Review and advise on social studies submitted by the licensees;
- Participate in sensitization meetings and stakeholder consultations with host communities and other relevant stakeholders and follow up on actions required;
- Advise on societal related grievances to ensure that they are handled promptly and professionally in order to maintain good relationship with host communities and other relevant stakeholders;
- Participate in regular field inspections and monitoring of oil and gas operations;
- Support land acquisition and compensation related activities;
- Participate in development of appropriate Information, Education and Communication materials for sensitization of communities and other relevant stakeholders;
- Mobilize host communities to participate in relevant oil and gas activities and programs;
- Monitor implementation of Resettlement Action Plans and Community Development Action Plans;
- Provide input in review and development of relevant policies, legislation, standards, regulations and guidelines;
- Actively participate in review of reports including the ESIS, Audits and monitoring reports to ensure that social issues are adequately addressed;
- Perform any other duties may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Petroleum Authority of Uganda (PAU) Social Affairs Officer job placement must hold a Bachelor’s degree (Hons) in Environment, Social Sciences, Social Work and Social Administration, Sustainable Development, Community Development or related disciplines from an internationally recognized institution.
- At least three years of working experience in the oil and gas sector operations, with specific responsibility for Environment issues.
- Demonstrated experience working with a wide range of local stakeholders, NGOs, donors, local authorities, local communities in an organization/business unit/project with diverse professionals.
- A Master’s degree in Environment, Social Sciences, Social Work and Social Administration, Sociology, Sustainable Development, Community Development or any other social development related degree from an internationally recognized University.
- A qualification in the oil and gas sector from an internationally recognized institution;
- Internationally recognized professional qualifications or membership of nationally and internationally recognized professional bodies;
- Proven ability to work independently and meet deadlines;
- Sound knowledge of land use and planning policies, laws, regulations, standards and guidelines in the country.
- Familiarity with environmental and socio-economic issues related to the oil and gas sector.
- Innovative and with a proven high level of integrity;
- Ability to work independently and in a team;
- Proven track record of outstanding performance;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills especially Persuasive Oral Communication;
- Possess good administrative and negotiation skills;
- Track record of training and mentoring others; and
- Proficiency in the relevant computer packages including Microsoft Office
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to apply online by clicking on the link below.
- ONLY online applications will be considered.
- Applicants are required to scan and attach CERTIFIED copies of the required academic documents only e.g. Degree, Transcript, Diploma, A-level and O-level certificates and PLE results slip.
- Academic documents for the successful candidates will be vetted and background checks conducted before they are considered for appointment into the Authority.
- Only short listed and successful candidates will be contacted.
- All appointments shall be subject to a probationary period of not more than six months and subsequent confirmation in service will be based on satisfactory performance of the individual.
Deadline: 18th March 2019 by 11:59 pm.