Organization: Petroleum Authority of Uganda (PAU)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Petroleum Authority of Uganda (PAU) is a statutory body established under Section 9 of the Petroleum (Exploration, Development and Production) Act 2013, and in line with the National Oil and Gas Policy for Uganda which was approved in 2008. The PAU’s mandate is to monitor and regulate the exploration, development and production, together with the refining, gas conversion, transportation and storage of petroleum in Uganda. This includes ensuring that petroleum operations in Uganda are carried out in accordance with the relevant laws, regulations, guidelines, statutes and in line with international best practice for the petroleum industry.
Job Summary: The Software Engineer will be responsible to and report to the Senior Software Engineer and will be responsible for developing software applications and participate in software quality assessments to enable automation and interfacing of business processes in order to enhance organizational efficiency. He/she will also undertake development and support of the PAU’s web applications.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively participate in gathering user requirements to inform development of software and analyse the requirements to come up with software design
- Develop software to automate various business processes that may necessitates automation from time to time
- Deploy developed applications into production and offer technical advice on acquisition of outsourced software
- Carryout software testing to evaluate whether it meets the user requirements and the business needs
- Write test report to document and inform stakeholders of the test results
- Research, identify and develop templates for documenting processes, designs and test results
- Carryout reviews on technical documents to identify gaps in processes and ensure conformity to industry standards and make recommendations on how gaps can be fixed
- Identify inefficiencies in exiting systems and processes and gather recommendations from users on how to improve the current systems
- Develop and deploy patches (new software versions) to improve the effectiveness of exiting systems
- Creates user information solutions by developing, implementing, and maintaining Internet/intranet applications throughout development life cycle;
- Ensure that the website implementations based best practice industry frameworks;
- Design, implement web interfaces and create multimedia applications to interact with web interfaces;
- Integrates applications by designing database architecture and server scripting, studying and establishing connectivity with network systems, search engines, and information servers.
- Carry out user sensitization and training on how to use the developed application
- Support business units and guide the documentation of business processes
- Perform any other IT related work like Computer configuration, networking on projects
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Petroleum Authority of Uganda (PAU) Software Engineer job placement must hold an honors bachelor’s degree in either, Computer Science, Information Technology, Statistics with computing, Computer or Software Engineering from an internationally recognized University or institution.
- A minimum of three (3) years working experience of active software development from a reputable organization.
- Knowledge of software quality assurance standard (IEEE, ISO/IEC etc.)
- Software testing standard (IEEE829, ISO/IEC/IEEE29119)
- Database management (SQL, Oracle, Postgres, Maria DB)
- Programming languages (Java, C#, Python, Ruby, Go-programming, and etc.)
- Familiar with iOS and Android SDK
- Knowledge in mobile hybrid technologies like Ionic, React Native.
- Experience on web service integration (PYTHON, SOAP, REST, JSON, XML) and development using web technologies
- Previous experience building web and native apps and using social media APIs with version controls
- Masters’ Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Statistics (Computing option), Software or Computer Engineering or related field from an internationally recognized University or Institution.
- Certifications in Web Technologies and Frameworks such as Angular, Python, OWASP or a related Certification.
- Possess excellent project management skills.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to conduct research into enterprise networking issues and products as required.
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong customer service orientation
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to apply online by clicking on the link below.
- ONLY online applications will be considered.
- Applicants are required to scan and attach CERTIFIED copies of the required academic documents only e.g. Degree, Transcript, Diploma, A-level and O-level certificates and PLE results slip.
- Academic documents for the successful candidates will be vetted and background checks conducted before they are considered for appointment into the Authority.
- Only short listed and successful candidates will be contacted.
- All appointments shall be subject to a probationary period of not more than six months and subsequent confirmation in service will be based on satisfactory performance of the individual.
Deadline: 18th March 2019 by 11:59 pm.